Wiztalia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
We are now open for business!
Hufflepuff: 0 Gryffindor: 0 Ravenclaw: 0 Slytherin: 0

Spell troubles! [Open]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Former Prussia

Former Prussia

Spell troubles! [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Gilbert was slowly growing frustrated with himself as he poured over his spell book, seated in an armchair before the fireplace. He was reading the Grade Book of Spells for Sixth Year in English. Gilbert was fluent in English, yes, but he got confused when technical terms were used, and he did still mess up in translating it in his head. Latin just confused the hell out of him though, and it didn't help that the letters kept blurring. That problem could be solved if he wore his glasses, but they were square and bright red, with a cheap plastic frame. Gilbert felt like a complete dork when wearing them.

He was trying to practice the Sixth Year spell "Dulo", a spell that turned an object into stone. He was practising on a quill, since it seemed easy at the time, but it remained soft and feathery and definitely not made of stone. No matter how much he waved his wand, did the little flick, muttered the words, or jabbed the quill, it remained on the desk unchanged, mocking him. He was certain he was doing everything right! He turned his glare from the quill to the book, a headache beginning to pound behind his eyes as he squinted at the words. They were a bit blurry, but he could make them out. He was sure the incantation was "Dulo". Or maybe it was "Duro"...

Gilbert tried "Duro", and...oh! The tips of the quill looked a bit stiff and greyish, but still not what he was looking for. What was he doing wrong? He had tried this a million times! Had he read the instructions wrong? Maybe there wasn't a flick? Ack, reading this book was giving him a pounding headache! But he kept at it, refusing to stop practising until he got the quill fully grey at least. He leaned back in the armchair, lifting the book to rest on his lap, pressing his finger underneath the sentence he was reading and muttering the words.

He will conquer this spell!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 1:22 am

Elizabeta was sprawled across half of her bed, long auburn-brown strands of hair brushing against her cheeks as she glanced over her Transfiguration homework. The professor had each given them a well-known, or obscure, spell and told to write at least two scrolls describing the history of it. She huffed, blowing out her cheeks as she turned an emerald gaze to her textbook. How on earth was she going to produce that, even after countless hours of pouring over the same text in an attempt to get enough information for a simple spell when she came up with the same words over and over again?

The Hungarian sighed, dropping the parchment on top of her book as she leaned her head on the heel of her hand. This was too tiring, too boring, too…having nothing to occupy herself. She’d rather be anywhere else but in her dorm room at this moment; dust tickled her nose and her eyes burned from reading the tiny script, and the sun was flooding uncomfortably into the room.

Elizabeta rolled onto her side to stare at the ceiling for a moment, raising a hand absently to brush away the hair in her face. She deserved a break, didn’t she? The scrolls weren’t due for another week, after all. She had time. The fifth year sat up with new resolve, finding it a wonderful idea to grab something from the castle kitchens and take a long, long walk around the grounds.

She smiled to herself at the thought and jumped up off her bed, not even bothering to straighten out her things as she bounced through the door. Elizabeta was humming to herself as she stepped quietly down the winding staircase, intending to track down the people she had met the other day. Perhaps she could convince that girl to walk with her, though it might be difficult to find her when she didn’t even know her name.

Elizabeta stopped at the foot of the stairs when she caught sight of that albino student – what was his name? – rather irritably flicking his wand and gesturing with it wildly at a feather. She watched curiously, blinking slowly with her head tilted until she realized that he was trying to perform a spell. He was muttering something lowly, most likely the spell he was trying to perform, but the Hungarian couldn’t make it out.

“…Having trouble?” she asked, her voice soft so she didn’t startle him. “Maybe I could help.” Elizabeta wasn’t sure how old the boy was; he looked as though he were her age or a year higher than her, but she thought it would be the polite thing to offer. Transfiguration and Charms were her best subjects.

Last edited by Elizabeta Héderváry on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Former Prussia

Former Prussia

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 5:21 am

Gilbert had tried every variation of how to pronounce "Dulo/Duro", with different flicks and jabs, but nothing. The closest he got was the tips turning a bit grey, and that was when he flicked. Maybe he wasn't putting enough "omph!" into the spell? He held back, usually, since when he got it wrong, the spell ended up blowing up in his face, and he had enough of singed eyebrows to last him a lifetime. A part of his brain told him to admit defeat for now, and take a break, but his stubbornness refused. Leaving now meant admitting defeat, and he refused to have that stupid quill beat him! He'll turn it to fucking stone even if it killed him!

A voice drew him out of his increasingly agitated thoughts, and he looked up, his wand in mid-flick. A few angry sparks shot out at the end, and he shook his wand a little, quickly patting out the embers that had fallen onto the couch. Stupid wand. "Uh? What? Sorry, didn't hear you." He grumbled, looking obviously frazzled and stressed out. The girl didn't look that familiar - Gilbert was horrible with names, and even worse with faces, so he was drawing a blank in trying to recognise this girl. She had an accent though, although Gilbert couldn't quite place it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:14 am

Elizabeta was about to repeat her question, but her voice caught in her throat when she saw sparks fly out of the tip of the boy’s wand. Her eyes widened slightly, pausing for a moment before she stepped forward. “I was saying that you looked like you were having trouble, igen?” She leaned against the side of the couch in an attempt to figure out what spell he was trying to use, having always been able to figure it out with the movement of the wand. She was concerned when she noticed the noticeable stress lines creasing his face, wondering what he was having difficulties with; she was determined to help.

Forgetting about her plans for the afternoon (and content to ignore her essay for now), the Hungarian withdrew her own wand just in case she needed it – for whatever reason. Elizabeta twisted the wood in between her fingers, her gaze on the other as she slowly took in his appearance. She had never seen an albino before, and her natural curiosity was sparked the longer she looked at him. His accent placed him somewhere near central Europe; Germany or Austria, perhaps? She couldn’t tell right away, but she knew that he had to have come from one of the countries that bordered Hungary. It sounded familiar.

A barrage of questions bubbled up in her throat, but she swallowed them when she finally realized that she had been staring far longer than what was necessary. The fifth year made a small noise as she shifted slightly and offered the boy a smile, thrusting her hand out. She ignored the faint ink staining her fingers, only keeping her gaze on the other Gryffindor. “My name’s Elizabeta. It’s nice to meet you.” She nodded down at his textbook. “I could help you figure out the spell if you’d like.”

Last edited by Elizabeta Héderváry on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Former Prussia

Former Prussia

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:23 am

Gilbert shifted uncomfortably as the strange girl continued to stare at him, his eyebrows furrowing sharply as he prepared to defend himself. He personally thought he looked cool and awesome, but most people said his eyes were freaky, and that he was too pale, so if this girl made one comment about his appearance he was hitting her with his wand. But, fortunately, no negative remark about his appearance came forth, and he blinked in bemusement at the inky hand thrust towards him. "Er, Gilbert." He said slowly, taking the hand in the brief shake before letting go.

"Eh?" He caught up with the rest of 'Elizabeta's words though, and he puffed himself up like an indignant water fowl. "I-I have it figured out! I'm just...having a slight difficulty in having my wand cooperate!" He glared down at his stupid wand, giving it a slight shake before turning back to his book. "I don't get why all the incantations are in stupid Latin. I struggle to pronounce those stupid words..." He started to grumble to himself, poking at his quill morosely with the tip of his wand. He scowled and flicked his wand again, snapping a forceful "Duro!"

Something happened, but the quill didn't turn to stone. Instead it shot up high into the air and managed to embed its thin shaft a few centimetres into the ceiling. Gilbert stared up at it for a long moment, before he admitted defeat reluctantly.

"...okay, so maybe some help would be appreciated."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 8:47 pm

“All the spells are in Latin because that is the language of magic,” Elizabeta answered, even if Gilbert’s muttered comment hadn’t been phrased as a question or something that was directed towards her. She had a tendency to voice her thoughts on a situation, which stemmed from her want to help everyone as much as she could. Though that did get her in trouble more often than not when she talked too much. “At least, that’s what my parents have told me when I first started school. I had trouble too.”

The Hungarian smiled gently, wanting to know if Gilbert would allow her to give him a few pointers on how to speak the spells around his thick accent (ones that she had gotten from the older students at her former school) – before she tilted her head curiously as she watched the albino try once again to perform the spell with a flick of his wand. Elizabeta shifted to lean her body against the couch comfortably, before jolting slightly as the feather shot up straight into the air and lodged itself in the ceiling.

She lifted her head to stare at it as well, a bit surprised, and then a soft giggle escaped her without her meaning to. While the fifth year could see how frustrated Gilbert was getting with not being able to perform the spell correctly – she admired his determination, and stubbornness – it was still amusing to her that the feather had done the opposite of what the other had wanted to do. “It was a good try at least, right?”

Elizabeta grinned at him, hoping to make the albino feel better and give him some encouragement as she moved again to perch on the edge of the couch. “We should probably practice how to say it first. It will help.” She pointed her wand at the ceiling and gave it a little flick with a muttered Accio to retrieve the feather, which settled on her outstretched palm. The Hungarian held it out to Gilbert. “Here you go.”

With a tap of her wand against her knee, Elizabeta pursed her lips in thought as she thought of a way to proceed. As far as she could tell, the albino was trying to properly say the spell for making an object into stone. “You are trying to say duro, correct? Try dur-o.”

Last edited by Elizabeta Héderváry on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Former Prussia

Former Prussia

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 11:51 am

Gilbert very rarely took help that wasn't in the form of his exasperated brother (who was also used to Gilbert's snappish attitude whenever he was frustrated), so he watched Eliza-something like a hawk as she summoned back the feather and handed it to him, expecting a snarky comment. He was surprised when instead praise came from her, and snorted as he took the feather, almost crumpling it when he held it so tightly. Good try his ass. That was simple awful. He did a Banisment Charm instead of Petrifying his target, two entirely different things. He couldn't even claim 'close enough'!

He set the quill down on the table, glancing back up at Eliza-something - oh fuck it, he'll call her Lizzy, easier to remember - as she spoke. He wrinkled his nose at the advice, although he took it without much fuss. "Dew-row," he pronounced slowly, wincing when ever he could tell that his accent got in the way of the proper pronunciation. Ugh, play, c'mon, don't roll the 'r' and don't say the 'D' so hard. "Durrr-row- fucking hell," he interrupted himself, growling a little in frustration. "/Dur/. /Ro/."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 8:57 am

Elizabeta tried to not wince at his butchered attempts of pronunciation, knowing and remembering just how hard it was to speak Latin with an accent when you were already having trouble speaking proper English. Of course, when she first started school she thought learning the ancient language would be easy, but she had been completely wrong. That was a challenge she was still making her way through.

There was a sympathetic smile on her lips as she nodded in encouragement, hoping that her words would help him, and her eyes lit up when he finally managed to say it correctly – while fractured, the albino had still gotten it. “See, there you go! I knew you could do it!” Elizabeta beamed.

She shifted to completely face him, hands folded together in her lap. “Now. Repeat after me, Minden rendben?” The Hungarian waited for confirmation from Gilbert before speaking again, a hand lifting to flick in a similar way she would with her wand. Duro.”

[Sorry for taking so long to reply, and for the shortness xD;;]

Back to top Go down
Former Prussia

Former Prussia

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Gilbert actually felt a little encouraged by Lizzy's praises, where usually he just felt frustration and annoyance at himself from repeated failures. Smiling a little now, his expression clearing from its intense irritation, he looked up at his impromptu tutor and watched her move her hand in the correct flicking posture. Oh, so that's where Gilbert went wrong. He had been holding his wand incorrectly, so that when he flicked, the motion went to the left, rather than the right like it should. He frowned, intently watching Lizzy's hand move, and then slowly mimicked it.

After he felt more confident, he moved his hand much more quickly and natural, grinning when he felt like he got it. "Like that?" he asked, his fingers itching to actually try it with his wand.

(s'okay <3 sorry my response is so short too derp)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Elizabeta was pleased to see that Gilbert seemed cheerier now, smiling herself as she continued to move her hand in the correct form for casting a spell so that he could watch her. She was happy that she was able to help him, hoping that she would get a new friend out of this. After all, it was terribly lonely not knowing anyone in your own house. And the albino seemed to be great company, especially compared to the grumpy English girl.

“Just like that!” The Hungarian beamed once more, nodding to encourage him as she pointed her wand at the feather that Gilbert held in his hand. “You’ve got it, I should think. Want to try it with your wand now?”

[Mwa! I'm so so so sorry for taking so long! OTL December was a really bad month for me and then I got sick and just bleeeeeh @___@;;; Sorrysorry]

Back to top Go down
Former Prussia

Former Prussia

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:17 pm

(derp sorry for the slow reply as well |D I hope you feel better though!)

"Yeah!" Gilbert felt bubbly at being encouraged - he thrived on praise after all. He set the quill down on the table before him, picking up his wand and mimicking the movement a few times just to make sure he got it. He then took in a deep breath, flicked his wand and enunciated "Duro" as clearly as possible as he cast the spell. The feather quivered, and slowly turned a very pale greyish colour, stiffening up until it resembled stone. Gilbert stared in shock, then let out a loud whoop, jumping up from the sofa to thrust his fist high up in the air. "Yes! I did it!" he cheered, flopped back down on the chair and reaching out to pick up the quill.

It felt like stone, but when he brushed his fingers against the side, a few of the strands of feathers crumbled off. He hurriedly held it over the table so the powdery substance wouldn't sprinkle all over his trousers. "Oops. Pretty powdery. I think I turned it into chalk." Close enough. Chalk was stone. He set the delicate feather down and turned to grin at Lizzy. "Hey, thanks a lot for helping me."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 3:57 pm

As Elizabeta watched the Prussian, and his excitement grew more apparent, the smile on her lips only widened. It made her feel like she had accomplished something by helping Gilbert, which she enjoyed. She never liked to see other people sad or frustrated, not when she could do something about it. Even if they were complete strangers. Though, Gilbert was starting to seem more like a friend than someone she didn’t know.

She hoped they could be friends, at least. This seemed like a good start.

The Hungarian girl cheered with the albino as he managed to charm the quill into stone – or rather, chalk – and laughed cheerfully, clapping a few times as he sat down. “Chalk’s pretty close to stone. I would say with a bit more practice, you should be able to get better at it.” Elizabeta grinned back at him and nodded at his thanks, her wand in her lap. “You’re welcome. It was no problem at all. That’s what friends do, right?”

[This is derpy. Hurr. And thanks, I'm much better now x3]

Last edited by Elizabeta Héderváry on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Former Prussia

Former Prussia

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 1:57 pm

(Yay <3 And derpy is good =u= )

Friends? Yes, friends did help each other out. Gilbert smiled a little, ducking his head as he brushed the chalk off of his thighs. Growing up, the only friend he ever had was his brother, since his general appearance was enough to make the superstitious witzies at the school wary of him (his boisterous attitude didn't help either), and making friends with muggle children was hard due to his magical abilities. He had presumed making friends to be a long, arduous task with lots of give and take - not simply deciding within the space of twenty minutes that this person would be your friend. But it seemed to be different here in Hogwarts, where people were friendly and open and ready to befriend you after a single meeting.

He looked up, clapping his hands together with his wand in between them, his expression bright.

"Yup! Friends help each other out!" he grinned, stashing his wand away in his robes. "Where're you from? You in Hogwarts proper or part of the student exchange thing like me? I ask 'coz you've got a foreign accent that isn't British..."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Elizabeta blinked at his question, tilting her head slightly before she smiled again. “Hungary. Right around Budapest. So that puts me in the student exchange program. Came here for my fifth year.” She looked at Gilbert for a moment, shifting into a more comfortable position on the couch so that she was facing him completely. “I have to say that the OWLs here are stricter than back home.” She laughed, twirling her wand between her fingertips.

The Hungarian still could hardly believe that she had made a friend, after all the time that she had spent here already. She would have to write to her parents later to tell them what had happened so far, as she had promised before she left. Elizabeta found herself looking forward to being able to spend time with the albino, even if he was a little…loud. But he seemed fun to be around.

“What about you? Your accent tells me you’re German, igen?”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spell troubles! [Open]   Spell troubles! [Open] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spell troubles! [Open]
Page 1 of 1