Wiztalia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
We are now open for business!
Hufflepuff: 0 Gryffindor: 0 Ravenclaw: 0 Slytherin: 0

We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Empty
PostSubject: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 am

"What in the..." To say that Roderich was surprised was a bit of an understatement. He was shocked, baffled and just a tad excited. The room was enormous, it's size could rival that of the Great Hall's, with tall stone walls and a high ceiling. It was filled with over a hundred hard working house-elves and had four long tables that were laid out similarly to the ones in the Great Hall.

The Austrian stood gaping at the doorway before one of the house-elves finally noticed him, "Can I help you, sir?" It took a while for him to get over his initial shock and to get his mouth working again, "W-what is this place?"

"The kitchens, sir."

"We have a kitchen?"

Within the next half hour, Roderich was clad in a frilly pink apron, covered in flour and with a pleasant smile on his face. Some curious house-elves had stopped working to watch the Austrian as he skillfully prepared cakes, sweets and pastries of all kinds, "What are you making, sir?"

"Apfelstrudel," the Austrian replied smoothly after placing a plate of cookies onto the surface of a nearby table. He glared menacingly at one particular house-elf who attempted to snatch one off the plate, "Don't touch the Linzer Augen."

Last edited by Roderich Edelstein on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 12:18 pm

Despite not having any true senses of taste, smell, or touch, Mathias still had an extreme fondness for food. Most ghosts seemed to forget food, not caring for it at all, but he could still remember the way it smelled when cooking, how things melted in his mouth, sweet and savory, bitter and rotten. The textures and feels of food were not long forgotten. They were ingrained into the Dane, leaving a bitter longing for the food he could no longer eat.

One would think the Dane would avoid the kitchens because of this, but, in fact, he rather loved the place. When he was not being mischievous, cooling off dishes that ought to have been hot, he would follow the elves around, demanding that they describe in great deal the flavors, scents, and textures of what they were cooking. It was quite a bother to the elves, but they never complained much.

Today, however, Mathias spotted someone new in the kitchens, a human, a wizard! There were never people about, cooking when the elves could do it for them. Best of all, this one was cooking things that the viking had never seen before, foreign pastries (and familiar ones). It was a curious sight and the ghost could not resist moving closer to examine everything.

“Hej,” he greeted abruptly, accidentally waving his hands through a few pastries, draining all the heat from them. Then, he started to pester the Austrian with a child-like curiosity. “What're these? And this. And does this'un taste like jam? Where are they from?”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 10:27 pm

By now most of the house-elves had dispersed to carry on with what they were doing before, which Roderich was silently thankful for. The constant attention from the curious elves had been nice, but the constant questions were starting to get a little annoying. Of course, it took a little persuasion on the Austrian's part - he offered to let them eat a pastry of their choice.

They had refused at first, being the humble house-elves that they were, although it was obvious by the way they seemed to devour the pastries with their eyes that they wanted to do just that, it was only when he mentioned that he needed someone to 'test the food to make sure it was alright' that they eagerly agreed. Not that Roderich minded, he did get a little bit... carried away.

Roderich stopped what he was doing to check the oven, panicking when he saw that the pastry inside was burnt and quickly rushed to get oven mitts, forgetting that he could have easily saved time and used his wand to levitate the tray inside. He was so wrapped up in his work that he didn't notice a certain Danish ghost quietly approach him.

"GAH!!" The abrupt greeting caused him to momentarily lose his grip on the tray and the pastry lay ruined on the kitchen floor. Roderich stared at it in disdain and before taking off an oven mitt to massage the bridge of his nose. "You have got to be kidding me..." He turned to the offending ghost, trying to keep the irritation he was feeling from leaking into his voice, "And just who might you be? Do you have any idea how rude it is to sneak up on someone like that?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Mathias watched, half in amusement and half in mortification, and the Austrian dropped the slightly burnt pastry at the sound of his voice. He let out an awkward laugh, not quite knowing how to deal with the situation. He could see that the other man was irritated, maybe even angry. He retreated into the counter a bit, attempting to avoid any wrath that the man may attempt to inflict upon him. He was surprised at how calm the boy managed to stay.

“That's a shame,” he commented awkwardly, forgetting all the questions about the glorious food surrounding him. The viking shook his head in what appeared to be exaggerated sadness. “But, uh, I'm Mathias. Surely you have heard of me. The fantastic viking ghost who roams the halls of Hogwarts.” All traces of sadness were gone from the Dane's face, instead replaced with an eager and friendly smile, seeming to suddenly forget the annoyance of the other man.

“And I didn't sneak up on you. You're just too oblivious to notice me. You were all into your baking. And then you ruined it. You oughta be more aware of your surroundings. Ghosts pop out e'erywhere! S'unavoidable, so don't fuss so much.” The man waved his hand dismissively, not really seeing himself at fault anymore. He moved on quickly, forgetting all errors he made.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Roderich bent down to collect the remains of the ruined pastry, but several house-elves were already neglecting their work to clean it up. The Austrian sent a grateful look in their direction before turning his attention back to the boisterous Dane who seemed to be oblivious to the trouble he had caused the brunet.

He rolled his eyes as the viking introduced himself. The boy had in fact heard of the Danish ghost, who was known for causing regular trouble in the hallways for the students of Hogwarts, but Roderich had never been one for rumours as they were hardly any of his concern, "Roderich Edelstein, Gryffindor sixth year. I would like to say it was a pleasure to meet you, but that would hardly be the case."

The Austrian almost held out his hand for a handshake out of habit, but quickly remembered what the other was and stopped himself, "So, can I help you with anything or are you just here to be a hindrance to me? As you can see, I am quite busy." Ignoring the Dane's last statement, Roderich turned to examine the multiple cakes and sweets laid out on the table in front of him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 pm

The Dane gave the Austrian a benevolent smile despite the rude distaste being radiated by the younger man. He brushed it off with ease, each insult the man threw his way, just returning to his close inspection of the pastries, accidentally cooling them all as he stared. He laughed softly as the other man's grumbling about his presence, before straightening and pretending to lean against the counter.

“Well, if you hadn't wasted time flailing about and being scared of me, you woulda heard my questioning. I was showing an interest in your pretty little baking. What is this?” He pointed to some cookies. “And this?” He in turn pointed to some linzertorte. “Or this?” This time the Kaiserschmarr'n was given his attention.

He shrugged. “Just showin' interest. Whats'it all taste like? Smell like? What's the texture of the food. I can't eat. I'm curious. I miss it. Food is fantastic.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 5:21 am

((rushed reply! -begs for forgiveness-))

Roderich raised an eyebrow as the Dane easily brushed off what should have been an insult. The Austrian shook his head slightly and continued to examine his work. He picked up a freshly baked cookie and was shocked to find that it was as cold as ice when it should have still been slightly warm. Almost immediately, he cast a suspicious glance towards the ghost as if he was the cause of the unusual phenomenon.

"I wasn't scared. You merely gave me a shock," he muttered quietly under his breath. Roderich watched Mathias with a mild interest as the viking eagerly pointed from one pastry to the next, keen to know more about them

"Very well then," he sighed, a small smile quirking his lips. And so Roderich described each dish in vivid detail, proudly showing off his home country's many desserts, only to have his long speech interrupted by the loud rumble of his stomach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Mathias returned Roderich's suspicious glare with a sheepish look in response. He could not help his ability to suck the heat from things. It did not help that he was a big, lumbering creature either, not someone who would ever be able to tip-toe or master the art of discreteness. He did, however, move a few steps away from the Austrian and his baking as a peace offering for his mistake.

“If you, ah, need anythin' cooled off or frozen though, I'd be glad to help. I'm better than any lame ol' fridge or freezer. I could be a useful cookin' companion if ya stopped glaring at me, kiddo.” He waved his arms excitedly, throwing them right through Roderich, demonstrating just how cold he was.

“You were scared though,” he teased before quickly falling silent. For once, the Dane listened attentively to someone else as they spoke, obviously interested. He did not interrupt or move or cause any trouble. He just stared, in rapt fascination at the delicacies that he could no longer devour.

Then Roderich's stomach grumbled. He laughed loudly, grinning down at the student. “You oughta eat something yourself then. Sorry if it's cold. Didn't mean to make 'em all frigid.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 4:14 am

He was faintly amused at the idea of a ghost being used as a freezer and would have chuckled had it not been for the fact that Mathias took him by surprise when he suddenly started flailing his arms about, passing through Roderich in the process. Having a ghost pass through you was never a pleasant experience, it left behind an icy sensation that sent a chill down his spine and made the Austrian shiver.

The brunet blushed in embarrassment as his stomach grumbled loudly, begging to be filled with the multiple pastries that were set out on the table. He glared at the laughing viking before sitting himself down in front of the Sachertorte, cutting a slice of the chocolate cake for himself.

The house-elves stopped what they were doing to watch him, nervously approaching the table as if waiting for permission to join the Austrian. "Well, what are you waiting for then? I can't eat it all by myself. It would be a shame to let them go to waste." After that the house-elves eagerly sat themselves down, happily digging into the delicious treats. Roderich dug into his own cake, a smile spreading across his face as he took his first bite of heaven. Now if only I had a piano...

An idea struck him and the Austrian quickly looked towards Mathias, his eyes narrowed and filled with determination, "You're a ghost. I presume you do a lot of exploring of the castle, am I correct? You wouldn't happen to know where I can find a piano?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:43 pm

The lumbering ghost watched the boy and the house-elves with a certain air of jealousy. He knew it was petty and foolish—after all, he had not eaten anything for twelve-hundred years. The urge to eat ought to have worn off by now. Yet, it was still there, and the Dane was forced to idly float through the rest of the kitchen, examining things and getting into things that ought to have been left alone.

It took the Viking a few moments to realize the Austrian was speaking to him. He had, of course, been wreaking havoc with the oven, trying to cool it off and then delighting at the way it remained warm and hot. Mathias, however, perked right up at the mention of pianos and hurried over to the elegant, pastry eating creature.

“Ah! You play piano? I adore music—never was any good at that stuff myself...and it seems no one appreciates my singing. I do know where there is a piano though. A whole music room, in fact! Full of dusty harps, pianos, violins, flutes, and the like. I can show you. Can you play any of those? Or are ya a one instrument person?”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 12:58 pm

What in Gott's name was he doing? Roderich paused after his sudden epiphany, having turned around to find the ghost doing...something. To be honest, he wasn't quite sure what Mathias was doing and he didn't think he wanted to know. The Austrian simply stared, impatiently waiting for the other to answer.

It took Roderich by surprise when the boisterous Dane stopped what he was doing and nearly barreled right through him, shocking him for the second time that day. Mathias stopped just in time, avoiding what could have been another unpleasant experience for the Austrian as he eagerly confirmed that there was in fact a whole room dedicated to storing musical instruments somewhere in Hogwarts.

The brunet brightened at the prospect of being able to play the piano again, after so long as well. He quickly stood up to remove his apron, already heading towards the door as he put on his cloak, stopping right before the door to turn towards the ghost, "Take me there."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 pm

“You could 'ave more manners on the subject, but sure! I will gladly show you, as long as you're gonna let me stick around and listen to ya play. It's strange that no one's ever shown you where it is before though,” rambled the Dane, starting to float slowly out of the kitchen and through the the door. He continued talking, even if his companion could not hear his words though the walls of the castle. He cared little. He merely enjoyed telling the tales.

Mathias started down the hallways, stopping at each bend in the halls to wait for the solid creature to catch up with him. Then, he would whisk down the next hallway. It was was obvious that he never moved slowly. He had gotten used to the ability to speed through areas. A normal walking pace was a dreadful idea for the Dane. He could stand them. However, at this rate, he seemed likely to lose the Austrian.

((I am sorry for the shortness. oTL))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:04 am

((no worries xD))

"Like you are one to talk about manners," the Austrian rolled his eyes, "I suppose it wouldn't be so bad. In that case, it would be my pleasure to be able to play something for you, if that is what you wish." His eyes followed Mathias as the Dane drifted out of the kitchens, Roderich wisely chose to remain silent while the viking rambled on. For reasons unknown, the Austrian found himself unconsciously holding the door open for the ghost before quickly snapping out of it to follow him down the hallways.

The ghost, unhindered by the typical need for oxygen, sped along the corridors, leaving the unfit Austrian in the dust. Roderich had to run to be able to catch up to Mathias, the ghost only stopping for a moment at the end of one hallway before whisking down the next. He paused for a moment to catch his breath, but when he looked back up he seemed to have lost the boisterous Dane. "Mathias!"

It was only then Roderich noticed how dark the hallways were getting and pulled out his wand, quietly muttering an incantation to make the tip of it glow brightly. Strange, he hadn't noticed how late it was getting. He must have been in the kitchens for longer than he had thought. Roderich knew that if he attempted to return to the Gryffindor common room, he was sure to get lost. "Stupid viking..." Somehow, this situation felt very familiar to the Austrian. In fact, something like this had happened not too long ago, only this time it was minus the cold (and a rather bothersome German albino). He really didn't want to go through the same thing over again. "Tch...MATHIAS!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Mathias had gone some distance before he realized that the Austrian seemed to disappear. He stayed in place for a few moments, expecting the young Austrian to come around the bend any moment. However, the Dane was left waiting. No familiar student showed up. All that was left was a dark, lonely hallway and a misty ghost. Nobody was out and about.

He moved slowly, retracing his steps, looking for a little, lost Austrian. The man blinked, pausing for a moment, almost feeling as though he had heard his name in the distance. It was quiet though, almost like the wind. He dismissed it. That is, until he heard his name yelled much louder, by a terribly familiar, irate, voice. Mathias grinned happily, floating right through the walls, directly to the whining musician. He gave him a triumphant look upon floating out of the wall, in front of the small man.

“Oi, you're goin' the wrong way. It's to the left, not the right. Your sense of direction worries me. D'ya get lost often? Are you ever gonna find the music room again? You'll hafta write the directions down.” He snorted, but there was a trace of a softer look on the ex-viking's face. “Just stay close, a'right? No need to lose you again into the depths of the castle.”

Mathias started to move again, but at a much slower pace than before. He ambled along next to the boy this time, not forcing him to jog, lest he wish to risk loosing him again. The Dane hummed softly for a bit, somehow managing to be a bit off tune, before abruptly stopping to comment, “Being alive is quite time consuming.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:20 am

((sorry it's kinda short...))

He wandered around the dark hallway for a bit, wand held out in front of him as he searched for his ghostly guide. As luck would have it, the very Dane he had been looking for suddenly emerged from the wall in front of him without any warning. Roderich could never get used to how ghosts seemed to pop out like that. "Mein Gott, don't scare me like that!"

"Well I wouldn't have gotten lost if you hadn't abandoned me in the first place," he grumbled, changing direction and going down the left corridor instead, missing the expression that had flickered across the viking's face, "I appreciate your concern, but we're not making much progress standing around like this."

Roderich moved forward, not quite sure where he was going so it offered some much needed comfort when the Danish ghost appeared by his side, this time moving slowly to allow the other to keep up with him. The Austrian was grateful for this and allowed a soft smile to appear on his face, "I couldn't agree with you more." He paused. "Excuse me if I am being too intrusive, but how did you die?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 pm

((It is fine.))
Mathias rolled his eyes at the Austrian, “What d'ya think will happen when you call for a ghost? We like to take the fastest routes. Or, at least, I do.” He laughed at the other man's expense, turning away from him. His ghostly form almost seemed to fidget, unaccustomed to the slow pace they moved at. The ex-viking wished to move fast, not only for the convenience, but to beat the rapidly setting sun.

“You wouldn't get lost if you were in shape. Too many sweets,” huffed the ghost right back in a sulky tone. He quite liked the company of others. It would not do well at all to scare off his reluctant companion. It was so hard to find anyone who wanted to spend time with an old spirit. Everyone had books to flip through and friends to chat it. It was all rather lonely for the lumbering wisp.

However, the viking nearly froze at the boy's question. “That's...a rather morbid question,” he started slowly, carefully. “It was in battle. The Battle of York. It was one of the few times we all banded together in a fight. I was only too eager to join. I ended up dead. I never was truly suited for battle.” With that, the ghost sped up a bit, staying just in front of the Austrian. Normally, that was a subject that was told in lies. Yet here, in the halls with a grumpy and easily lost student, it felt nice to be vaguely honest.

“So! What're you doin' here?” Mathias turned back to face him, casting him a cheeky grin, trying to lighten his own mood. “You've got a pretty little accent. Sounds sorta German, but not quite. Austrian, I'd guess? You one of those exchange student people? You look to old to be a first-year...and you haven't a clue were anything is.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 am

"T-too many sweets...?" The brunet spluttered, feeling suddenly self conscious by what the ghost had said. Was it true? Could he really be eating too many sweets? He knew he didn't have the greatest body around and being who he was, the Austrian was used to having other people do everything for him, but could it be that all those cakes and desserts were starting to make him...? Roderich found himself unconsciously poking his stomach, admiring how squishy it was due to his lack of muscles.

The question hung in the air for a moment, the brunet wished he could just snatch it right back and never speak of it again. He couldn't believe he had asked such a question and silently hoped that he hadn't touched upon a sensitive subject. As much as the cheerful Dane irritated him, he somehow enjoyed the other's company and feared that he had offended him.

Roderich was surprised when the viking answered with a brutal honesty that he found strange coming from the Dane. He offered the other a sad, sympathetic smile, embracing the sudden change of subject to escape the sombre atmosphere that had taken place.

Mathias' grin looked absent of it's usual cheeriness, maybe even a little forced, but the Austrian wisely chose to remain silent about it. "I'm sure my accent is anything but 'pretty'. Just to answer your question though; yes, I am an exchange student from Austria," Roderich smirked, "You're smarter than you look. Most people seem to like to make it a habit to mistaken me for German!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 8:50 pm

“No, no, no! Not like that! Yer not fat or anythin'. You look fine, stop worryin'. I'm sure the girls like you just the way you are. It's cool. You're just out of shape, like you eat a lot and then never exercise.” Mathias laughed boisterously at the smaller one's expense, before patting his own belly. “I mean, even I'm not that in shape. I kinda had a little bit of useless flab when I died. Stuck with it fer all eternity now. Sucks, really. Though, s'not like being in shape really matters in death. Yours'll go away. Well, maybe.”

The blond was mostly lying on that account. He was rather muscular, years of working with metal had given him muscles that were now permanently hidden from view. Mathias merely thought his stomach, the least exercised part of him, and the spot most affected by his love of foods, was not really muscular. His body, however, was uselessly in shape, even in death.

He blinked. “Well, exist for a few centuries and you pick up a few things here or there. Canadians get mad when you call 'em Americans. Koreans are not the same as Chinese. Austrians are not Germans. I've insulted plenty of students in my years here. It's never a pretty sight.” The Dane laughed softly. “It is not as though I have much else to do, either.”

Mathias hummed, steering them down a more obscure hallway, which revealed the music room a few few doors down. He made a triumphant noise upon locating it, guiding the Austrian eagerly into the almost neglected room. It was a beautiful room, the walls decorated with various instruments. In one corner, stood a magnificent orchestral harp with smaller harps gathered around it. Cellos, and violins, and even a double bass decorated another corner. Most gorgeous of all, isolated on the opposite end of a room, stood an old, but incredibly well kept, grand piano.

“Soooo. What d'ya think?”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:20 pm

He chuckled slightly, finding himself warming up to the ghost as he spent more time with him. "Don't forget to add accusing a German of being a Nazi to your list," the brunet added jokingly, "Although the results can be rather amusing, despite having been on the recieving end of it myself."

Roderich wondered why the Dane had suddenly cried out. Had he seen something? Were they in some sort of trouble? Or was he just being his usual idiotic self? Whatever it was that had set the viking off, it obviously excited him as he eagerly coaxed Roderich towards an open door.

"What is it now...?" The Austrian drifted off, a bewildered expression on his face as he tried to absorb what he was seeing. The brunet couldn't remember the last time he had seen so many instruments in one place. Once upon a time, the music room back in Austria had once been home to many instruments. After his accident though, his parents had insisted on removing most of them - what had once been a magnificent collection of instruments was now reduced to a violin and a piano.

His bewildered expression turned into one of excitement and the brunet quickly rushed over to the instrument nearest to him, gushing over each and every available one in the room. Most of them, he was already familiar with - although his skills would have been a little rusty after years without practice - but some of them, he had never had the chance to learn how to play before, it excited him just thinking about what he could do here. "Mathias, this is amazing!"

The Austrian let out a cry when he spotted the grand piano and hurried over to it's side. It's surface was shiny and the piano was obviously well kept. He gracefully sat himself on the bench, hands carefully lifting the fall board. Roderich positioned his fingers over the black and white keysas his mind searched for a song to play.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Mathias snorted. “Anyone who makes that mistake is an idiot. I was around during those years. You are quick to learn exactly how to treat the Germans and the Austrians. People should know better than to call a modern day Austrian a Nazi,” he shook his head, looking a little depressed by the matter. However, his annoyance quickly dissipated upon seeing the excited young student take in the sights of the music room.

He floated along behind him, quiet and not disturbing him as he gushed. For once, he was able to be courteous and silent, understanding of the boy's excitement. While he could not get this way about music, he would gush when presented with artifacts from when he was alive. It left him just as overwhelmed and babbling and ecstatic. He could most certainly understand the smaller boy's excitement.

“It is pretty spectacular,” he murmured softly once Roderich had spotted the piano and settled in front of it. “If you don't mind me askin', interrupting I s'pose, how long have you been playin' music? It seems like you know your stuff, but you act as though you haven't really seen an instrument in a long, long time. Not that I mean to pry if I shouldn't. You can just go ahead an play. I'm quite excited to hear.”

He smoothly moved over to the side of the piano, feigning leaning against it. Mathias watched Roderich curiously, intrigued by the enthusiasm he showed and how thoughtfully his gaze swept over the piano. After a second he added, softly, “D'ya know anything by Niels Glade?”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 am

The previously excited Austrian tensed at the ghost's question. He paused for a minute, his fingers still hovering over the monochrome keys before they slowly started to play a few simple scales. "You...really are smarter than you look." After a while, Roderich began to play a piece he knew well - Chopin's Nocturne Op.9 No.2. "I suppose I do owe you an explanation. After all, you did lead me here."

His eyes slipped shut. "When I was young, I used to be rather...obsessed with music. I would spend lengthy hours in the music room; food was brought to me, but I barely touched it, I rarely slept and I refused to leave the room. I neglected my duties and my magic studies. My parents grew displeased and now I'm not even allowed look at an instrument without their consent." His tone grew bitter towards the end and he had spat the last few words without meaning to.

The Austrian sighed and slipped into another song, this time a more peaceful piece he couldn't remember the name of. Roderich wasn't used to being able to talk to anyone like this. Even though he had purposely left out a few details it still felt as if a weight had been taken off of his shoulders.

He looked up at the Dane, his expression a cross between shock and amusement. "I'm surprised you do," he said, "Ja, brilliant composer. He is Danish, is he not?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Mathias felt his eyes fall shut soon after the music started playing. A small, blissful sigh passed from his ghostly lips. He listened attentively, both to the music and Roderich's words, interest piqued. Even as the child finished speaking, the lumbering ghost stayed quite for a few moments, waiting for the current song to come to completion. Only then did he let his eyes drift open to look curiously at Roderich.

“You are very talented...Your obsession, at the very least, did you some good,” offered the Dane quietly, genuinely impressed with the music Roderich produced. “It would seem that I'm breaking a few rules here, letting you play an instrument, aren't I? Not that I mind. Never been one for rules, not really. Poncy annoying things. You just better not play yourself sick, a'right? I don't need your parents complaining about me. I quite like living here.”

Mathias cast him a friendly smile, but looked vaguely worried. It was partially for the student he had led to the instruments, but he did not worry too much about. He seemed sensible enough to know his limits. The worry was mostly brought on by the idea of ever having to find a new place to live. People did not typically take kindly to ghosts living in their homes. He knew from experience.

“Ouch. You really oughta stop thinking of me as an idiot. I wasn't very intelligent in my time, 'course not, and I'm not always the quickest, but I have been around for over a thousand years. It is hard not to pick up a few things. So 'course I know him. He is a Dane. Never got to meet him though. A shame. Met others, of course.” He shrugged between rambling sentences, looking more amused than annoyed. “That is beside the point. You know his pieces then? Care to play one?”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 6:06 am

((ASDFGHJ. I'm sorry for the shortness, my imagination is currently failing me...))

The Austrian opened his eyes just a crack and looked towards his ghostly companion. He was amazed to find Mathias watching him intently and quickly looked away, not quite used to the attention the other was giving him and suddenly feeling silly for having shared his past with the viking. "Thank you." Roderich winced. The ghost probably didn't realize just how close he had come to the truth. "As if I can afford to let that happen again," he whispered quietly under his breath. "Don't worry, I know my limits. And even if I did, I'd try my best not to get you involved."

He rolled his eyes at the Dane, smiling slightly. "Come now, you know I didn't mean it. I'm sure you have a lot to share, what with your apparent thousands of years worth of wisdom." He finished the piece he had been playing, but kept his hands poised over the keys. "Of course I do. Any requests? Although my knowledge of him is, regrettably, somewhat limited so will you be satisfied with one of his earlier piano works?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:14 pm

((S'okay. ;u; I'm not feeling overly imaginative either.))

The ghost found himself drifting as he floated and listened to the combination of music and words. His gaze would switch from glancing curiously at the student to gazing around the room. It caused him to miss the younger creature's wince with his gratitude, not that it would have meant much to the viking anyways. He dipped his fingers down to the keys, as though he was running his hands along the instrument and creating noise, disrupting the Austrian. This, of course, was not the case, and only silence was created, but it still sent a wave of satisfaction through the see-through man.

“You're welcome. Not that I'd ditch you if you did get into trouble. Keepin' me out of it just makes less pressure for you to not overdo it, no? You'll just hafta be good to keep me from getting kicked outa the castle. I'll hafta keep an eye of you when your in here, kick you out when it is time to eat, be a general nuisance. Best of all, bothering you means I get to listen in. Sounds like a nice deal,” hummed the Dane happily, returning from his idle floating to stand behind the piano again.

“Thousand years of wisdom indeed! Imagine all the fantastic musicians I met, people who you only know from their music,” he cast him an arrogant grin, “All those musical heroes, and I've met some of 'em. Being a ghost certainly has its perks, even if they fail to show themselves half the time.” A delighted laugh. “No, no, you play whatever piece you feel most comfortable with. I'm merely a fan of his work as a whole. As much as I love modern music, the classics are nostalgic.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:22 am

Roderich watched the ghost with interest, letting out a good natured laugh as the viking attempted to run his hands along the keys, but of course he failed in doing so, no sound was created as his fingers had harmlessly passed through them. "I suppose so. Although, I'm afraid you'll have to lead me back here again. You should know I don't have the... greatest sense of direction." That was quite an understatement, but Mathias didn't have to know that.

His smile grew forced as the other cast him an arrogant grin. Roderich felt his irritation towards the viking grow...and perhaps just the slightest twinge of jealousy, although he would never admit it. "Oh? Really now?" Secretly, he wanted to interrogate the ghost. Just who had the Dane met? Beethoven? Chopin? Mozart? It was probably unlikely Mathias had met any of he three, but he had read somewhere that Chopin had come to Scotland during his final years, so it was always possible.

The Austrian hesitated for a moment, still undecided on which piece to play. It seemed his ghostly companion had a taste for classical music and Roderich didn't want to disappoint. Frühlingsblumen (Spring Flowers) had been his original choice, but he couldn't bring himself to play the piece. Perhaps he should attempt Gade's compositions from Akvareller? Before he could come to a final decision, his hands did it for him and started to move on their own. It took a while before he recognised it: 'Piano Sonata in E Minor Op. 28 by Niels Gade', as was titled in his book. He smiled, pleased with his choice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]   We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We Have A Kitchen? [Mathias][Closed]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next